Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What Attracts You?

     What things or interests bring attraction to you?  Every one of us is attracted to different things during our lifetime.  What brings about those interests, those desires, or attractions?
     I remember as a young girl of ten or eleven years of age sitting in church and feeling the presence of JESUS so near.  People were testifying and giving praise to our all-deserving Master.  Meaningful choruses and songs were sung as people walked the aisles of that little white church in the country.  Was there an attraction? A resounding "YES" is the answer!  God's presence in those church services were an attraction to me as a young sinner girl!  Did I want what made those precious people so thrilled to serve and praise Him?  Of course I did, and it wasn't long until I was on my way to the altar of that little church.  I put my fears of others aside, stepped out, and made my way to the altar that Sunday morning there in Evart, Michigan.  Jesus was so near in that service.  People were shouting and praising Him!  It wasn't long until I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that Jesus had washed away my sins, and had come to abide in my unworthy heart.  He had cleansed me from sin!  When I got up from that altar, I literally felt like I was walking on clouds.  Each step seemed so much lighter!  That Sunday morning will never be forgotten as long as I live!  It was the greatest day of my life!
     This experience of my conversion brings about a question.  Are the church services you attend such an attraction to you that it brings about a desire in your heart to draw closer to God or to come to know Him as your Savior?  If not, why?  Think about the church you're attending.  Is it dead and dry or on fire for God?  Think about yourself.  Are you the one standing in the way?  I challenge you to search and seek God with all your heart.  He will meet your need whatever it may be.  He is a wonderful Savior and Friend who will never forsake you.


The church where I was saved

Rev. Everett Ashley, my Pastor when I was saved as a child in Michigan

3 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I read it yesterday, and have contemplated the question since. I think I would have to answer that I am attracted to the genuine. In every area of life. I like the "real thing". I prefer to be around people who are willing to be themselves and not put on a facade to impress or gain acceptance. I love photos that tell it like it was (minus photoshop), pop that is name brand, music that hasn't been glossed and perfected with technology...on and on. Spiritually speaking, the genuine has always attracted me, as well. I love knowing people all over the globe who are dedicated followers of Christ from the inside out. I have fond memories of long ago and more recently when God's presence has graced us. It may have been a quiet hush or a jubilant time of praise, but either is beautiful when it is sent straight from the hand of God...and when it is genuine. That's what attracts me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God for the attraction of the Holy Spirit! Without His presence many are just playing church. May we "contend" for the glory of God in our midst.
    I really enjoyed reading your testimony. Thank you for posting it. It has made think and pray more fervent for God's glory to come in our services.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, mommy. I long for my generation to feel God in such a way that their desire is to live it and live it strong. I'm tired of mediocre living... why not live it well?

    ReplyDelete